Sunday 29 August 2010

Like shaking a bottle of champagne

The closer the leaving day comes - which is Wednesday - the more the world in general pushes you to go. Maybe preparing for 7 months has something to do with that. It feels very much like this whole thing has a life of its own - a fast moving heavy freight train which has been stoked with 7 months worth of coal.

At first it took effort, planning, and work to get moving... and now it's flying at almost top speed, about to bust through the wooden gates into a new country... and when I stop shoveling coal into the Engine for just a moment and look around me I realise that even if I wanted to stop it, I couldn't. It has a life of it's own now.

I had to say bye to someone today who I'm going to miss very much, and more than ever that makes me just want to get the hell out of here now. As if somehow making real physical geographical movement will make it all easier.

I've still got each of my parents to see off too, and then a final meet-up with some of my friends. It's very much like I've got hold of a bottle of champagne in my hands and every time I have to say bye to someone I'm loosening the metal top just a little more.

Until finally - POP! The cork flies out the window, it sprays everywhere.. and you're gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment